We all logically know that magic does not exist, or at least not in the way we see it in fantasy movies, TV shows, and books. That said, it is hard not to consider that ants possess some form of mystical power. How else would they be able to magically show up inside our homes, carry objects 900 times their own weight, and coordinate with such precision? We are here today to tell you that there is an explanation for all these things. Here is what you need to know about the ants in San Diego and some clever ways to keep these pests out of your home.
What Ants Live In Our Area
San Diego is a hub for culture, food, and beautiful vistas. It is also home to a wide range of ant species. Here are some species that are most common to our area, how to identify them, and what problems they cause around properties.
- Odorous House Ants: Odorous house ants are brown to black, 1/16 to ⅛” long, and have unevenly shaped abdomens. You are most likely to find these pests crawling around kitchens and living areas scavenging for water and food. As for problems caused, odorous house ants are harmless but do release an odor similar to rotten coconuts when squished.
- Pharaoh Ants: Pharaoh ants are pale yellow, 1/16” long, and have a darker-colored abdomen. These invasive pests regularly build nests around homes and invade through cracks and gaps. When inside, Pharaoh ants scavenge for food and have a habit of transmitting dangerous bacteria over surfaces. Two diseases people can contract from these pests are salmonellosis and staphylococcus.
- Southern Fire Ants: Southern fire ants are dark reddish-brown and ⅛ to ⅜” long. Not regularly found inside homes, these pests build ant mounds around hot dry areas outdoors. Identify a fire ant mound by its lack of a central hole. The main problem these pests pose comes with their stingers and jaws which they use to defend themselves and their territory.
- Carpenter Ants: Carpenter ants are red, black, or red and black, ⅝” long, and have large heads and mandibles. These pests use their large and powerful mandibles to chew through the structural wood of homes in order to build their nests. This behavior causes extensive damage, over time, and costs a pretty penny to fix.
Methods To Prevent Ants
Because different ants invade homes for different reasons, a wide range of prevention strategies are needed to keep these pests at bay. Here are just a few exclusion and deterrence tips our team recommends you use.
- Repair leaky piping around your home.
- Make sure your gutters are in good working order.
- Repair or replace damaged structural wood around your home and outbuildings.
- Seal gaps and cracks around your home’s exterior, using a caulking gun.
- Fix torn or damaged window/door screens.
- Install door sweeps beneath all exterior doors.
- Regularly wash floors, kitchen tables, and countertops.
- Vacuum carpets once a week.
- Store leftover food inside air-tight containers.
- Make sure all of your trash cans have tight-fitting lids.
One Simple Solution To Ants
Ants are not easy pests to eliminate, especially if they establish nests indoors. If you are regularly having trouble with these invasive pests, or want to evaluate your risk, we recommend getting our team of expert technicians involved. At Green Flash Pest Control, we offer comprehensive solutions to deal with area ants. From carpenter ants to fire ants, we have the advanced solutions your property needs to fight back.
Call us today to find out your options for quality services here in San Diego.