Scorpions are arachnids, just like spiders, and keeping both out of your San Diego home is best for many reasons.
If you have seen one or more scorpions in your house, it is time to learn what attracts them and how to keep them away. In this article, you'll learn to understand their behavior and habits, get educated on the health risks scorpion infestations pose, and discover the best way to get rid of them and keep them away for good.
For all your scorpion infestation needs, Green Flash Pest Control is proud to offer pest control in San Diego you can rely on anytime.
Understanding Scorpion Behavior And Habitats
Scorpions have a distinctive appearance, with their pair of pincers and their curved tail ending with a venomous stinger. You can find them anywhere, from deserts to forests, where they hide during the day to avoid extreme temperatures, only to come out at night.
Their behavior varies depending on the species. Still, groups of scorpions are rare as most are solitary and territorial and are known to be aggressive with each other. For food, they usually rely on insects, spiders, and other small animals they capture with their pincers before injecting venom through their stingers.
Scorpions can adapt to harsh conditions in unique ways. Their exoskeleton helps them retain water, allowing them to survive prolonged periods. These exceptional animals are essential to a healthy ecosystem. Regardless, it would be best to keep them out of your home because of the health risks of scorpion infestations.
Health Risks Of Scorpion Infestations
You can risk many problems if you end up with a scorpion infestation in your San Diego home. Here are some of the main ones:
- Scorpions are dangerous pests. Most of the health risks primarily stem from their stings. In nature, it is their way of injecting venom into their prey. They might also use their stinger to defend themselves if they feel threatened. While the consequences are not always fatal, stings can be painful. Please immediately see a medical professional if you get stung by a scorpion.
- A scorpion infestation can be stressful. It is easy to understand why psychological distress can be a side-effect of having dangerous scorpions in your home, particularly if they are a common occurrence. The constant fear of being stung can cause you to lose sleep and lower your quality of life.
- Scorpions can indicate other problems. A scorpion problem in your home could be because of different pest infestations since these unwanted arachnids rely on small animals as a food source. They naturally go where they are most likely to find sustenance.
Taking preventive measures is essential to keep San Diego scorpions at bay. Read on to discover why and how they can come into your home and start a widespread problem.
Why And How Scorpions Find Their Way Inside
As much as you might not want scorpions in your home, they are incredibly adept at invading properties if they can find food, water, and shelter there. Here are some of the main reasons why and how they can take over:
- They prefer sheltered areas. You are at risk of an infestation if your home can provide shelter during the day so they can avoid extreme temperatures and predators.
- They can enter through small openings. If you have cracks in your walls, gaps under doors or around windows, or accessible pipes, scorpions can squeeze through. They can even climb walls and ceilings!
- Your yard might be an attractant. If your property offers suitable conditions for their survival, like vegetation and moisture, it can be a matter of time until they come indoors.
To prevent different kinds of scorpions in San Diego from entering your home, seal entry points, keep your property free from clutter, and eliminate insect infestations. But if you need more, professional help can make all the difference.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Scorpions And Keep Them Away
Professional pest control is an excellent way to get rid of scorpions in San Diego and keep them away for good. At Green Flash Pest Control, we have what it takes to identify infestations, locate habitats, and implement targeted treatment strategies that meet your needs and budget.
As a locally-owned, family-based company, your safety is paramount to us. While we will eliminate even the most challenging infestations, we also provide valuable advice on scorpion prevention to keep them from returning.
Whether they invaded because of entry points, yard attractants, moisture issues, or any other factor, we have the tools to help. Call us today to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in San Diego and let us help you with scorpions.