Two types of rats are common in the San Diego area, roof rats and Norway rats. These types of rats are dangerous and should be treated as such.
You can identify these different rats by the following traits:
- Norway rats can range between 6 to 8 inches long with a shorter tail than their body length. They have black or dark brown fur.
- Roof rats are about 9 ½ inches long and have brown fur with scattered black hairs throughout.
If you want to prevent or get rid of rats, you need to know the signs of an infestation, the dangers they pose, and the most effective control methods.
Signs Of Rats In Your San Diego Home
Seeing rats is rarely the first indicator of a problem. Usually, you will see damage such as chew marks on food packaging or furniture, droppings, grease marks, and nests first.
Can Rats In Your San Diego House Make You Sick?
Rats in California are no different from New York City's famous rats. This means that they are no less gross or dangerous. Below is a list of the dangers rats pose to human health and safety:
- Diseases caused by rats include but are not limited to hantavirus, plague, leptospirosis, salmonellosis, rat-bite fever.
- Parasites spread by rats can be mites, fleas, and ticks. These parasites can cause other problems for both people and pets that come into contact with them.
- Shed fur, droppings, and other waste can trigger allergies and asthma.
- Rats can contaminate food and surfaces with their saliva, feces, and urine, making people very sick.
- Damage caused by rats is not limited to cosmetics but can also include severe structural damage and fire and flood hazards. All rodents need to chew to keep their teeth from overgrowing constantly, so damage is very likely if this pest gets into your home.
Keep you and your family safe from the diseases caused by rats and the other concerns listed above by acting quickly with the safest form of rodent control.
The Safest Way To Get Rid Of Rats In Your San Diego Home
Want to get rid of rats from your property? The best way to get rid of rats fast is with professional assistance.
When dealing with rats in California, residents should contact Green Flash Pest Control. Our technicians understand the different rats that infest area homes, which is essential to effective removal.
Dealing with rats on your own will only lead to more headaches, so let us at Green Flash Pest Control assist!
Tips To Keep Rats Away From Your San Diego Home
Whether you have recently had an infestation removed from your home or you want to prevent one from happening, the following tips can be helpful:
- Seal any cracks and crevices in the foundation and exterior walls. Roof rats are excellent climbers, so you should also check along the roofline for entry points.
- Use vent covers, chimney caps, and fill gaps around windows and doors. Rats only need a hole the size of a penny to squeeze through, so no hole is small enough to overlook.
- Keep your home free of food debris, store food in air-tight containers, and remove garbage promptly.
- Fix any moisture issue like leaks or poor ventilation.
- Remove yard debris and excess foliage from your yard.
- Keep your home clean and clutter-free.
Don't forget, calling us at Green Flash Pest Control is the best way to get rid of rats fast!