There are several common rodents in the San Diego area; roof rats, Norway rats, field mice, house mice, and sometimes ground squirrels. While each rodent species has different qualities, they are all dangerous to people. Rodents are destructive because their teeth never stop growing, and they need to chew to keep them from overgrowing constantly. Below is more information about the problems they cause for businesses and homeowners.
When rodents get inside of a business, they can cause both health problems and damage concerns:
- Spreading diseases such as tularemia, rat-bite fever, leptospirosis, and salmonellosis.
- Spreading parasites like fleas and ticks.
- Contaminating food and surfaces with feces and urine.
- Triggering allergies and asthma.
- Chewing through many different materials such as drywall, insulation, wood, and metal.
- Damaging personal belongings with chewing and waste.
- Creating fire and flood hazards when chewing through pipes and wires.
No matter what rodent species you are dealing with, it is not welcome in your San Diego home or business. Because they are so dangerous, you should understand why and how rodents invade businesses and what to do when this happens.
Why Do Rodents Invade Businesses?
Rodents only need a hole the size of a penny to squeeze through, which allows them to get inside quickly and makes it challenging to keep them out. Rodents will cause many problems as they get inside through cracks in a building's foundation and exterior walls, through windows or doors that don't have a screen, or by gaps around utility lines.
Rodents have a history of being dependent on people, so if your business provides adequate food, water, and shelter for these pests, they will find their way in as they are smart and opportunistic.
Why Is It So Difficult To Get Rid Of Rodents?
Getting rid of a rodent infestation is not only challenging but can also be dangerous. Trying to get rid of a rodent infestation from your business on your own is nearly impossible. Because rodents are social animals, there is never just one little mouse or rat, but many more that you cannot see. To effectively get rid of an infestation, you have to remove all of them, not just a few that you can lure out with baits and traps.
The safest and most effective way to get rid of rodents is to contact professionals. San Diego business owners should turn to Green Flag Services for help. As a locally-owned business, we understand the importance of keeping rodents out of your business.
Give us a call today at Green Flag Services to learn more about how we can assist with rodents.
How Can I Prevent Future Rodent Infestations?
While the best pest prevention is ongoing assistance from professionals, there are several things you should do on your own to keep these critters from moving inside. These prevention tips include:
- Addressing moisture issues such as leaks, water-damaged wood, and removing organic debris from your property.
- Storing food properly by using air-tight containers for dry food, keeping produce in the refrigerator, and removing food debris from eating areas.
- Removing other food sources such as bird feeders, using tight-fitting lids on garbage cans, and ensuring garbage cans and dumpsters are emptied regularly.
- Seal potential entry points by inspecting and filling cracks in your building's foundation and exterior walls, installing windows and doors screens, and covering vents and plumbing.
Don't forget to contact Green Flag Services for assistance with rodents on your San Diego commercial property. We can help with the elimination and prevention of rodents and other pests.