Phoenix is home to many different kinds of dangerous pests — everything from spiders to rattlesnakes to bees. However, there is another type of dangerous pest that Phoenix residents also need to be informed about on the lookout for, and that's the scorpion.
Scorpions are part of the arachnid family and are known for having eight legs and two pincers. However, their most distinctive feature is their curved tail that ends with a stinger. There are four types of common scorpions in Phoenix: the bark scorpion, stripetail scorpion, yellow ground scorpion, and giant hairy scorpion. All of these are venomous, leaving painful stings.
Why Scorpions Invade Phoenix Properties
There are several reasons why these dangerous pests want to invade Phoenix homes. Below are some of those reasons:
- Darkness: Scorpions are nocturnal and spend their days hiding out in dark crevices to preserve water. Your basement, attic, and garage allow for the perfect place for them to burrow into while they wait for the cover of night to hunt.
- Moisture: Like any other pest, scorpions often wander into Phoenix homes looking for water. They also know that their prey is also likely to be found near water sources as well, making your bathroom and kitchen a good place for them to hang out.
- Shelter: Scorpions like clutter and hiding in the cracks and crevices of your home. If you have a lot of boxes and other material items clumped together, it is unfortunately the perfect place for these creatures to hide.
- Food: If you have insects in your home (and sometimes even mice and small lizards), scorpions are more likely to try to invade. If your home is already infested with other pests, it is likely that a scorpion infestation is not far off.
How Bad Is It To Have Scorpions On My Phoenix Property?
Whether it is your home or your business, it is dangerous to have scorpions on your Phoenix property. If a scorpion were to sting you, a family member, or an employee, it could cause severe health problems. Not only are the stings painful, but they can also cause heart, breathing, and muscle problems. In some people, an allergic reaction can also be triggered. This allergic reaction is typically known to cause swelling of the lymph nodes, eyelids, and tongue, and vomiting may also occur in sting victims.
Easy & Effective Scorpion Control Tips For Phoenix Properties
One of the best things you can do to control scorpion infestations on your Phoenix properties is to prevent them from wanting to invade in the first place. Here are some tips to prevent scorpions:
- Seal up holes: Go around your property and seal up any holes you find. Scorpions are capable of squeezing through even the tiniest of holes, so be sure to caulk up even the smaller ones that you might not think they would try to get through.
- Remove debris: Go through your yard and your building and declutter. Removing places for scorpions to hide out under during the day will make the place less appealing to them.
- Remove their food source: If you have other insects, or sometimes even mice and small lizards present on your Phoenix property, scorpions are more likely to try to move in, as it makes their lives a lot easier to already have their prey in one spot. Treat those invasions first, and the scorpion problem will be much easier to deal with.
The Secret To Total Scorpion Control For Phoenix Properties
There are lots of ways to prevent scorpions from invading your Phoenix property. However, once they are there, the best thing you can do to manage them is to call us at Green Flash Pest Control. We have more than 25 years of experience handling and exterminating dangerous scorpions, ensuring no one from your family or business gets hurt. Our expert technicians are armed with organic pest control tools that are low-impact and are safe for both people and pets.
Managing a home or property of any kind is difficult — let us handle the dangers of dealing with the scorpions that also live in the area. Call us today!