You've spotted spiders in your San Diego home, and you don't know whether to be concerned or not. Your favorite local San Diego pest control company, Green Flash Pest Control, can help you figure that out. In this guide, we'll tell you about the local spiders that can be found here, which spiders are more dangerous than others, five prevention tips you can use to keep spiders out in the future, and why professional pest control is the best option for getting spiders out of your house.
Species Of Spiders That Can Be Found In San Diego
There are many different kinds of spiders in the San Diego area. Some are nuisance species, while others can be more dangerous. Some common species found locally include:
- American house spiders
- Jumping spiders
- Wolf spiders
- Black widow spiders
- Brown widow spiders
- Orb weaver spiders
- Cellar spiders
Spiders are often fast-moving and can be difficult to identify. Some of the things to check for when trying to identify a spider in your home include the size, color, and markings. You might also be able to notice the shape of their abdomen and the length of their legs. For example, black widow spiders have bulbous shiny black bodies with a red hourglass shape on their abdomen, while cellar spiders are pale yellow to light brown with oval-shaped bodies and long, spindly legs.
Another way to identify spiders is by looking at their webs. Orb weavers spin wheel-shaped webs, while black widows are known for their messy, low to the ground constructions.
Some Spiders Are More Dangerous Than Others
Of the common house spiders in California, only the black and brown widow spiders are dangerous. A bite from either of the two can be serious, and both require medical attention as soon as possible.
The brown widow spider's venom is actually about 15 times stronger than that of the black widow spider, but the brown widow spider makes less venom than the black widow spider. Thus, black widow spider bites are often considered more severe than those brown widow spiders. Fortunately, neither of these spiders is aggressive, and bites are rare.
Still, these spiders will bite if they feel threatened, which often happens when people inadvertently get too close to a spider's hiding spot. If you have either of these spiders living in your home, you need to know how to get rid of spiders. You should call Green Flash Pest Control to eliminate spiders from your San Diego home.
Five Naturally Effective Spider Prevention Tips For Around Your Home
There are several steps you can take to get rid of spiders in your home, by preventing them in the first place including:
- Get rid of insects in your home. Spiders only come into your home if there's an ample food supply for them: insects. For example, if you have a German cockroach problem, you may develop a spider problem, as the roaches are their prey.
- Reduce the clutter in basements and garages, eliminating places for spiders to hide. Spiders are generally reclusive and prefer to be left alone, so they hide their webs in places that are unlikely to be disturbed.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet from the house on a raised structure or rack. Spiders love to make their home in piles of firewood, so keeping it away from the house is prudent, or you may accidentally be bringing spiders in with the wood.
- Trim your bushes, trees, and shrubs back away from your house so spiders are less likely to use them as anchors from their webs to your home's exterior. The closer spiders nest to your home, the more likely they are to wander inside.
- Clean up inside and outside eating areas after meals. Leaving food out or not cleaning up spills or crumbs attracts insects, and where insects go, spiders follow.
These steps can help prevent spiders, but they won't get these pests out of your home. If you want to get rid of spiders naturally, call Green Flash Pest Control. We have organic products we can use to take care of the problematic spiders living in your home.
Professional Pest Control Makes The Best Spider Control
At Green Flash Pest Control, we have over 25 years of combined experience in the pest control industry. Our locally-owned company takes protecting you from unwanted pests seriously, and you can trust us to take care of any problem pests you may have, including nuisance and dangerous spiders in San Diego. Contact us today for your free inspection and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in San Diego, so we can get those pests gone in a flash.